Master Systèmes complexes
To candidate to the program, please follow the instructions underneath.
The “Complex Systems” M2 master program, with emphasis on “Physics, Computer science and Complex Networks”, is organised by IXXI and the ENS of Lyon to provide an innovative training for students who are interested in the interdisciplinary research of complex networks and modeling of complex systems.
This program maintains a balance between different disciplines by combining courses from the fields of biology, computer science, mathematics, physics and sociology. Students from all of these disciplines are welcome to participate; the student will follow both the ”Complex Systems” program and part of their own M2: Computer Science, Physics, Bioscience or Mathematics (please contact the people responsible of the program for more details).
The inscriptions to the program has to be made by contacting Pierre Borgnat and Márton Karsai, and through the online application PRINS: https://prins.ens-lyon.fr/Prins/WebObjects/Prins.woa, before the 22nd of June, 2016 (a second session will be potentially open in August 2016). You will need also to fill the following forms and send them to Pierre Borgnat and Marton Karsai:
The program puts a special focus on the theory and modelling of complex networks and provides special training in data-driven research. In the end of the program students will receive a degree supplement assigned in their original master degree. All courses are given in English (optionally in French) for 4 or 6 ECTS during the fall between September and February. For a successful validation the participating students are required to collect 30 ECTS during the first semester, and 30 ECTS for the second semester, from the following offer:
- Introduction to Computer Science* (S. Thomasse) - 28h + 8h TD, 6 ECTS (includes Epistemology of the modeling of complex systems, S. Franceschelli)
- Introduction to Statistical Physics* (N. Garnier, A. Tanguy) - 28h + 8h TD, 6 ECTS (includes Epistemology of the modeling of complex systems, S. Franceschelli)
- Complex Networks (**CS CR 15 CS course), M. Karsai, E. Fleury - 24h + 8h TD, 4 ECTS
- Dynamical processes and networks, P. Borgnat, M. Karsai - 20h + 8h TD, 4 ECTS
* mandatory course for students who are not from the same discipline (and that cannot be validated fro students of the same discipline)
- Data analysis and processing for networks, P. Borgnat, J-C. Pesquet, N. Pustelnik - 24h, 4 ECTS
- Modeling in biology and medecin, L. Pujo-Menjouet, B. Audit - 18h, 3ECTS
- Modeling of Social Systems, P. Jensen, M. Karsai - 18h, 3ECTS
- Network Algorithms for Molecular Biology (**CS CR 03 CS course), Arnaud Mary, Blerina Sinaimeri and Marie-France Sagot - 3ECTS
- Quantum Information and Computation (**CS CR 04 CS course), Pascal Degiovanni, Omar Fawzi and Natacha Portier - 3ECTS
- Advanced Topics in Scalable Data Management (**CS CR 09 CS course), Eddy Caron and Gilles Fedak - 3ECTS
- Mathematical Methods for Image Synthesis (**CS CR 11 CS course), Nicolas Bonneel and Julie Digne - 3ECTS
- Network Information Theory (**CS CR 14 CS course), Jean-Marie Gorce and Samir M. Perlaza - 3ECTS
- Graph Decompositions: From Tree-Width to Perfect Graphs (**CS CR 17 CS course), Nicolas Trotignon and Stéphan Thomassé - 3ECTS
- Information, Statistical Physics and Computation (TBA) - 2.5 days (14h), 2 ECTS
** these courses are also included in the Computer Science Master Program (scheduled to complete by the end of January) and count as CS master courses for Computer Scienc students.
The students have to follow a research internship of at leats 16 or 20 weeks, during the second semester and it will count as 18 or 30 ECTS (validated by a written report and an oral presentation).
For further details about the program please contact the responsible persons:
Example Schedule of 2015-2016
Beginning of first semester (lectures): 1st of Septembre 2015. End of 1st semester: January 2016. Second semester: lectures in February-March, then Research internship up to end of June of July 2016.
ENS Lyon provides different scholarship programs for international students:
For further details please visit the site of the international student office of ENS Lyon. ERASMUS students from universities with partnership agreement with ENS Lyon are welcome.